Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vote Yoder

The Kansas and Missouri Primary Elections were held yesterday.  They were the only two states to hold elections on that day, making it one of the few times that the Kansas political scene is highlighted in the national news.
  • As predicted, Jerry Moran captured Sam Brownback's vacant Senate seat.  The surprise to me was that in Johnson County, Todd Tihart actually won by a few percentage points.  My surprise was due to the number of Moran vs. Tihart signs that I see throughout the county, as well as the fact that Johnson County tends to be more moderate than the rest of the state and Moran is the more moderate of the two candidates.  Either way, I'm glad he won.
  • Kevin Yoder picked up the nomination for Dennis Moore's 3rd District Congressional Seat.  While I did not vote for Yoder yesterday, I am happy to throw my full support behind him going into the November General Election.  Dennis Moore is constantly referred to as a "Blue Dog Democrat", though I haven't seen evidence in the last few years that he is anything but a very liberal Democrat that has voted with Nancy Pelosi on every major issue in recent memory.  Moore announced that he would retire saying that he wanted to "make room for a new generation."  Then a couple months later, his WIFE entered the race to replace him.  Huh?  A new generation?  Granted, she is about 7 years his junior, but last I checked that does not constitute a different generation.  By all accounts, Stephene is even more liberal than her husband, and is clearly planning to win her husband's seat on name recognition.  And as I've mentioned, her name is spelled wrong.  This leaves me with 2 questions for the Yoder campaign:  Where can I get a yard sign, and to whom should I make my check payable?
  • The other big news from yesterday is the Proposition C vote in Missouri.  The Proposition, which rejects the federal healthcare mandate, garnered over 70% of the vote.  The landslide victory is noteworthy, because Missouri is not a conservative state, thought clearly a majority of its citizens do not want Obamacare.
Speaking of Obamacare, check out the disgusting chart below.

Sorry if that made you throw up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment