Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tardy

I attended a meeting last year in which the topic was identifying our personalities.  One of the questions at the start was "Does it stress you out to be late?" If so, step forward.  I quickly stepped forward. 

I hate being late.  In fact, I like to be right on time; not too early, and definitely not late.  It baffled me when several people at my meeting didn't step forward, because timeliness just isn't a priority to them.  I just can't imagine sauntering into a meeting without so much as a heartfelt apology for my tardiness.

Well, folks, it seems that I'm late to this meeting.  Happy New Year!  It's 2011 - woohoo!  By now, most of you have probably already forgotten what your resolution for the year is.  At this point, writing 2011 for the date is second nature.  You may have already started making your Christmas travel plans. 

To be honest, I haven't given much thought to what I would like to accomplish this year, so this seems like a good time to start!  The first one will be obvious.
  1. Be a better blogger.  What excuse do I have?  I actually wrote more posts while studying last year than I did after my exam.  I do have some ideas queued up though, don't worry!  I'll be ambitious and shoot for one post each week.
  2. Get more involved at our church.  We love our church, but outside of worship, we just haven't found our niche yet.  Hopefully we will starting tomorrow: I have signed us up to be middle school small group leaders!  Yes, I am actually choosing to work with middle school kids.  I hope that we have something to teach them, and I'm confident that I will learn a lot from them. 
  3. Attempt to relearn to play my guitar.  I got a guitar for my 18th birthday, and taught myself chords.  I played regularly until I left for college, and then I found myself never wanting to be that annoying roommate that plays a musical instrument, and it went by the wayside.  Trust me, a girl across the hall from me in the dorm played the guitar, and no one ever begged her to "please play us another song!  And sing louder this time!"  No one.  Since college, my guitar has stood in its dusty case in the corner of our guest bedroom.  Occasionally, a guest will ask who plays the guitar, and the response is:  it's Steph's.
  4. Run a marathon.  This one is in italics, because it is probably not going to happen, and that's okay.  I started training the week of Christmas for a May 1st race, and was still in pretty good shape from running a half in November. However, in week #2 of training, I managed to injure not one, but both of my knees on a single 6 mile run.  I'm still taking it easy, and do not want to be that crazy person that achieves my goal at any cost, even if it means I can't walk by the time I turn 32.  It's not worth it, though there is a small part of me that keeps wanting to veer toward the treadmills at the gym as the sane version of me heads to the stationary bike.
So there we have it.  I'll be back again...within the next week!  Happy 2011!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I would read your blog if you posted every week. I say it's a stellar idea.

    2. I love middle school kids. They are in the most awkward, terrible stage, but if you love them, they love you back. And they eat up everything you say - you can be a hero in a second. I worked with them for several years at Hillcrest and loved it. Hope you do too.

    3. Definitely pick up the guitar again. I will probably ask you to play and sing though, so you may want to take that into consideration. I need a hobby like that...

    4. Even thinking about running a marathon is impressive to me. But you've done 2 or 3 halfs (at least, right?) so that's gotta be next on the list. I'm sorry you've injured yourself. How bout a visit to the chiropractor? My knees used to bother me a lot more when I ran before I started going to the chiropractor. But you know how those chiropractor junkies are, so insistent that it's a cure all. Well, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, brave friend! I can't wait to hear how the middle-schoolers are. They will LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete