I recently had a run-in with the law. You may be jumping to conclusions: Did she steal something? Has she been caught in an insider trading scandal? Not exactly.
But I did get my first speeding ticket.
It was the second time I've been pulled over, and I guess I assumed the same excuse I used the first time would work again and again. That I could say, "But officer, I've never had a speeding ticket," and he would look at me and realize that I am innocent. That it's obviously the first time my speedometer has gone over the limit.
Instead, he informed me that I was clocked going 46 in a 35 and quickly snatched my license and insurance card and left, as I formed my strategy for gaining sympathy. I tried to imagine myself crying, as is the cliche way for women to get out of tickets. For the life of me, I couldn't think of anything sad enough to evoke tears, and I instead wondered how anyone over the age of 16 could cry in this situation. Tears were not going to be an option.
As the officer returned, he said "I don't see that you have much of a record." I innocently replied, "This will be my first ticket," and gave my best regret face.
I thought it worked as he apologetically said, "Aww, I'm giving you your first ticket?"
I had him. "Well you don't have to..."
"Oh no, it's too late. I already issued the ticket."
Grrr. Why hadn't I pulled the "first ticket" card out sooner? It was my one chance! Telling an officer that this is "only my second ticket ever" just won't have the same ring to it!
So I reluctantly accepted responsibility and went home to inform my husband that we were $110 poorer, plus whatever the cost increase of our insurance would be.
His response? Laughter. He didn't think it was funny that we were out the cash, but he thought it was hilarious that I had finally been caught. He even insinuated that I had it coming! The nerve!
Okay, so I kind of did have it coming, but still!
The next week, I did what I do in situations like these, I called around to determine the least expensive option for the situation: pay the ticket and increased insurance costs vs. pay $250 to have the ticket changed to a non-moving violation. I ended up paying the $250. And now I technically don't have a speeding ticket on my record. I wonder if I can, in good conscience, still claim that I've never have a ticket if I get pulled over...

That's so funny. I mean, Aaron's response, of course. I know what you mean, that regret of not saying something in the perfect way to get your desired outcome and kicking yourself b/c the moment is gone forever. Or is it? Technically, you could say in fine-print speak, "Officer, I've never had a speeding ticket (*cough* stay on my record) before."
ReplyDeleteI really can't cry when the officer has pulled me over either. It's so fake, and I know it. The one time I did cry though was when my friends and I took an overnight road trip to St Louis w/o telling the parents, and I got pulled over for going 96 in a 70. The ticket was the same price as yours AFTER you added the extra to take it off your record. Yea, bad day.