I have mentioned before that the summers of my childhood were spent working on 4-H projects. I'm sure that I complained about all of it. After all, I don't know of many teens who would gleefully get up extra early before school to feed steers and pigs. The thing I probably complained about the most, though, was sewing. My mom patiently guided my sister and I through sewing projects for days and weeks on end. The only time I really remember enjoying it much was when I could hand sew in front of the TV while watching soap operas.
Fast forward 10+ years, and I am suddenly incredibly thankful that I learned to sew. At 5'2", I have had to shorten more than a few skirts, dresses and pants. Now that my friends are having babies, I can make them nursing covers, burp cloths and bibs for about 1/3 the cost of buying them at a store -- and they are one of a kind!
Now that we are settled into our new house, I'm realizing that pillow and window coverings are expensive, and there are thousands of beautiful home decor fabrics out there that I can choose from. I have literally spent hours browsing fabric online. By choice. Who am I?
My first project was this roman shade for the kitchen. It is not perfect, but it certainly does the job, and I won't feel guilty if I decide to change it up in a few years, because it only cost me about $65.
It's fabulous. When I am sick of being reminded that the window is filthy, I draw the shade, and ta-da! It's not dirty anymore!
I'm slightly obsessed with quatrefoil prints like this one, so I have ordered the same fabric to make shades for our patio doors. After that, it's on to pillow covers. Then drapes for the dining room. And guest room. Next thing you know I will be making outfits again, though in this era of my life, I think I should probably leave out the shoulder pads.
I'm jealous of your skills ... and very impressed!
ReplyDeleteDiddo Jenna's comment... She and I both took 4-H knitting and sewing classes together. She can atleast knit but I don't think either of us really came away with much from the sewing class.
ReplyDeleteQuit your day job and I'll get you started on an Etsy business! :)
If you have some of that curtain fabric left over, I'd like to get a skirt made. Or maybe re-upholster my furniture. You do that too, right?
ReplyDelete