Thursday, December 18, 2008

Brinkley & Me

For my 24th birthday, Aaron surprised me with something that I had wanted for a long time: a puppy. We had talked a lot about getting a dog, and both agreed that we wanted a golden retriever. The more puppy-centered conversations we had, the more anxious to bring home a cuddly fur-ball I became, and the more dismissive of the idea Aaron became. It was very frustrating! Little did I know that he was purposely derailing my puppy plans just so he could surprise me. He is a tricky one.

Aaron did all the research on local golden breeders, and happened to come across an ad placed by a couple that had bred their family golden and were selling the pups for a price much less than breeders. Sold! We trekked out to Excelsior Springs, MO one night after work to make our pick. I was ecstatic to say the least. However, I completely underestimated the difficulty of choosing one adorable puppy out of an entire litter of adorable puppies. How could I choose just one? Have you seen golden retriever puppies?!?

After much deliberation, I made my choice, "I'll take the dirty one!" I think the woman was a little surprised as she picked up the chosen puppy. And there she was, little Brinkley, with a grease smudge across the top of her head. "She looks like an ornery one, so I choose her," I said. Let me tell you, when Aaron and I decide to have children someday, I will NOT choose the ornery one to be mine. It is not a smart strategy when it comes to someone that will live in your house. Puppies and children that look ornery are likely just that.

A few months, and a lot of floor messes later, Aaron and I read a fabulous book called "Marley & Me." We laughed. We cried. And worst of all, we realized that Brinkley had an awful lot in common with Marley. I have chased Brinkley down the street, screaming her name while praying that she didn't get hit by a car. I have come across teeth marks on our brand new coffee table. I have come home and learned that our neighbors' parents had to rescue our brand new grill cover from the jaws of a fierce canine. And I have taken a long lunch break to transport my dog to the vet, hoping that he can somehow dislodge the pork chop bone from her intestines.

Brinkley is 2-years-old now -- almost 2 1/2 -- and I am finally seeing signs of maturity. We don't have to lock her up at night anymore, having guests over does not make me nervous that we will have to pay a dry cleaning bill, and I can't remember the last time that she full-fledged jumped on me and knocked me over.

Now, Brinkley is my buddy (literally, we call her Buddy). She follows me everywhere, and is nearly always at my feet if I am sitting in a chair, or laying on the couch. Throughout the months of studying I just completed, Brinkley would often shimmy her way under the desk, and lay on my feet for hours until I took a break. She would often get bored, and put her head on my lap, her eyes imploring me to PLEASE play fetch for a few minutes. Oftentimes, I would make the mistake of petting her head, and suddenly, I would have the front end of a 75 lb. dog in my lap. I am always amazed at the speed in which her excitement escalates. It's generally not helpful for my studies, but it always makes me feel loved!

Marley & Me comes out in theaters on Christmas Day. I can't remember the last time that I was so excited for a new movie to come out (it is rare for me to even recognize the titles of any movies playing in theaters). I have a feeling that Marley (though a labrador retriever, not a golden) in the movie will bear a strong resemblance to Brinkley, and I will likely be sobbing at the end.
(Here's the trailer: http://marleyandmemovie.com/)

1 comment:

  1. I, as well, cannot wait to see 'Marley and Me'... I read the book right after we got Wrigley and did just as you did, laughed and then cried until I literally had no more tears to cry!!!

    But I must tell you that I am SUPER jealous that your dog, being 2 1/2, is starting to 'calm down'. Wrigley will be 3 on Dec. 31 and there are NO signs of calm in him!!! It's sometimes entertaining to watch, but it also means he will not be in the house anytime soon!

    Anywho... we will have to chat about the movie after it comes out!

    SEE YOU IN A WEEK AND DAYS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete