I have a feeling that I will be using this blog as an outlet for venting. And a majority of the time, I am sure that most people could care less about the topics that I become passionate about, but I am okay with that. Here's my first rant...
When I was in high school, I had a plan. I would go to K-State and get a degree, go on to law school at one of the nation's finest, then make my way to Washington, where I would eventually run for and win a seat in the US Congress. Not your normal career plan for a high school student in Western Kansas, I know.
Luckily, plans change. However, had my politician dream had remained intact, I would face an uphill battle. I would have to work my way up from the bottom: local office, state office, and with any luck make it onto the national stage. So many in Washington have followed this path.
And then there's the Kennedy's.
Caroline Kennedy has decided that she wants to be the next senator from the State of New York. Is she smart? Yes. Does she know the issues? Absolutely. Can she drink everyone in the Senate under the table (with the exception of her Uncle Ted, of course)? I'd put money on it. Does that mean that you can just burst onto the political scene this year and expect to join the US Senate? Only if you're a Kennedy. It seems ridiculous to me that there are other men and women in that state that are likely more qualified, but will not even be considered by Governor Paterson because their last names are not notable. This is not an election, it is an appointment, and Caroline knows that this will be the way to get her foot in the door.
If I were a New Yorker, I would be outraged if she received the appointment. Almost as outraged as I would be if I lived in Minnesota (really, Al Franken got that many votes?) or Illinois, the headquarters of Corruption.
From one Republican to another ... I'll drink to that one, Stephanie.
ReplyDelete