Monday, March 16, 2009

7 things I love about Spring...& one thing I HATE

Winter is not officially over until this weekend, but don't tell that to the weather in Kansas City, because Spring has sprung here. Sunny and 80 degrees today for St. Patrick's Day...hallelujah! As I sit here on the 18th floor of my office building, I suddenly have cabin fever. I keep looking over my shoulder out the window, longing to be outside, thinking about all the things I love about Spring.


  1. Running outside! There are plenty of people that run outside year-round, but I am not one of them. Nothing sounds appealing about breathing in below-freezing air or attempting to avoid death via ice patches on the sidewalk. However, once it is over 50 degrees in the mornings, there is no better way to start a day. Brinkley (a.k.a. Tubby), it's time to get you in shape!

  2. Driving with the sun roof open. In the winter, I give thanks daily for heated seats. In the summer, I am equally thankful for my sun roof. It makes me happy when I drive home from work. However, I sometimes catch myself singing at traffic lights, and wonder if the people in the cars next to me can hear me belting out Taylor Swift.

  3. Blooming flowers. Winter is ugly. Everything is a different shade of brown. But soon, there will be color.
  4. I can open the windows of our house and let the fresh air in!

  5. Mowing. I really enjoy it. I know there are eyes rolling all over the place, but it's just such a great combination of exercise, yard work, and tanning. And I mow diagonally, because it's pretty.

  6. Bye-bye coats, sweaters, and all other winter attire. See you in November! Good riddance! Oh, but not you, tall boots -- I'll actually miss you. My pasty-white legs are scared to go out in public without you.

  7. Each day is longer than the last. Not literally, but there is more daylight.
There is but one thing that I absolutely DESPISE about Spring. This thing snuck up on me in my first year in Kansas City, and I didn't know what it was until about 2 weeks into my misery: allergies. I always thought allergies were for sissies. I mean, I grew up on a farm, and was around thousands of allergens throughout my entire childhood, and never, ever had an issue. But put this girl in the city, and I am in sneezey, itchy throat, watery eyes hell. And I can't even enjoy 1-5 above, thanks to these pesky allergies, so all I'm left with is wearing summer clothing, and seeing sunshine later into the night...from indoors.


I will soon be heading to Costco for a truckload of Zyrtec, so I can attempt to enjoy running, sun roofs, flowers, open windows, and mowing during the months of April and May without constantly looking like a strung out drug addict. Or maybe the allergies will go away this year. Here's to hope!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, confession: I read all of your March and January postings, and half of the February posts. And that was only because of some weird techy issue with my phone. I was intrigued, and it was easy reading. (That's a compliment if it doesn't sounds like one.) I even added you to my elite "blogs of interest" list on my page. That should sound more like a compliment.

    In regards to your post: as a seasonal allergy sufferer, I empathize. But what is up with getting allergies in our twenties? I assumed that if you made it through your kid years without getting them, you got an Allergy Free for Life pass. I found out the hard way this isn't so. A couple years ago I was out running with my cousin, Jen, enjoying the whimsical white fluff flying through the air. Until they got me too. I think my allergies flair up based on whether or not the tree pollen is high that year. If it's grass or weed, I'm usually okay. Here's to hope that whatever your allergic to shows up in small quantities in nature this year.

    ReplyDelete