Brinkley's cousin, Shiner the beagle, stayed at our house last couple of days. Shiner has been a frequent visitor since last May when her family moved to Kansas City from Seattle. Brinkley has mixed feelings about Shiner's visits. On one hand, it's nice to have a fellow four-legged creature around -- someone that really understands the hardships that a dog must face in the 21st century. On the other hand, Shiner is bossy and cranky. Shiner is the older cousin by about 49 dog years, so other than a love for chasing small animals, there is really very little that they share in common.
Brinkley has lamented that the worst part about hosting Shiner for slumber parties is that Shiner decides where she gets to sleep, which is usually either a) on Brinkley's bed or b) on the couch. Each location is perplexing because if Brinkley's bed is taken by Shiner, then the only dog bed with vacancy is Shiner's bed, which Brinkley would have outgrown at age 3 months. If Shiner chooses the couch, Brinkley is left wondering why she isn't allowed to lay on the couch. It generally creates a heightened level of stress for my retriever.
The eyes of a dog under stress. "When is that other dog going home? I miss my bed."
Sometimes I wish my pup were a little more aggressive. Don't let that crotchety old beagle push you around -- you are 5 times her size! But then I realize that if she were to stand up for herself, then I would be forced to referee a dog fight, which is not how I wish to spend my evening. Not to mention, she and I would both be humiliated if the beagle won the fight, so let's not go there. Similar to me as a kid, I think she actually looks up to Shiner, and she has been a little sad since Shiner's departure earlier this evening.
"I'll let you lay in my bed if you come back, Cuz!"
Or maybe Brinkley thinks she is "letting" Shiner take over...
Ha! That's hysterical! Michael brought his 3-month-old lab up last weekend, so we brought Wrigley over to our house so they could play for a few days. After about 22 hours, Wrigley was over Cooper and his childish ways and ready to be back to his calm fortress at Patty's! :)
ReplyDeleteSo much for getting him another dog companion to cure what we thought was loneliness... I guess he just likes his peace and quiet!
What a great post! Hilarious! But I was kinda sad there was no picture of Shiner (no offense to Brinkley - I was doubley glad there were pictures of her).
ReplyDelete