Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A great day

Lately, my days have all been running together. Each day goes a little something like this: my alarm goes off at 5:30. I turn it off, and then enjoy the comfort of my bed for approximately 1.5 minutes before I hear alarm clock #2, also known as Brinkley, who is outside our bedroom door shaking her head, causing her dog tags to jingle. I get up, work out, shower and get ready, go to work, go home, walk Brinkley, eat, study, go to bed. I enjoy most days (though I think at this point, it's obvious that I could do without the studying!).

I rarely eat lunch in the company of anyone but my computer, so the days that I meet up with friends for a quick bite are a treat (quite literally, as you will soon find out). Today was one of those days. I met my friends Jody, Brooke, and Natalie at our usual lunch spot, Harry's Country Club. (Edit: After reading this, I realized that Harry's needs explanation. It is not the kind of country club with a golf course; it's the kind of country club that is actually a bar.) If we were ashamed of the real reason that we frequent Harry's, we would say that we go there because of its central location to all of our workplaces, not to mention, they have good food. However, we are not ashamed. We are proud to admit that the reason we choose Harry's every month is because of its location next to Baby Cakes. Following lunch, we used to ask one another, "So do you want to go to Baby Cakes?" Now we save our breath, because there's not question about the answer.

We file into Baby Cakes, place our orders and cough up $2.39 for a midday treat. We then head back to our respective offices, our dessert in tow. The cupcake sits on my desk calling my name until I can't handle hearing its voice any longer, and then I devour it in 5 bites, and search for every last bit of cream cheese frosting. All the while, I am wishing that I would have shut my office door for fear that someone might catch me licking the bag that had once contained my cupcake. I have a sweet tooth. Can you tell?


Today was lunch at Harry's day, a.k.a. "Baby Cakes day", a.k.a. "I should have run an extra 5 miles on the treadmill this morning day". For the second time in a row, a man that I presume is the owner was in the shop. The last time we were in, KU had just lost to Baylor in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament. We bonded with the owner (a Mizzou fan) over Baylor's victory, and he treated us to a round of cupcakes. This day was almost as good. We greeted him and mentioned that we meet for lunch just so we can eat at his shop. Hearing this, he gave us each a cupcake in addition to those that we purchased. Going forward, we are clearly going to have to be strategic and try to determine his work schedule in pursuit of more free cupcakes.

I found myself smiling and wanting to skip as I headed back to my car. It was then that I realized that the difference between a good day and a great day for me is apparently dessert. Any bets on how much I'll weigh if I attempt to make every day a great day for the next year? I think I'll stick to my good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment