Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A 25 hour birthday

I turned 27 on Sunday. It was a wonderful day. To this, I know you are asking, "What did you do that was so wonderful?" It isn't so much what I did, because a lot of people who were not celebrating their birthdays probably had very similar days. It was the day itself that was so great.

A birthday automatically improves when it falls on a weekend. One point for #27 there.

The real greatness started at 3 am when it actually became 2 am. Daylight Savings Time was extended to late October/early November a couple years back, so this was my first 25 hour birthday. What a gift to wake up and see 8:00 am on the alarm clock only to realize that no, it is actually only 7:00! Thanks for that birthday present, US Government! I am well aware that is the only gift I will be receiving from you this year, so I will treasure it until the next time November 1 falls on Sunday.

Breakfast happens to be my favorite meal of the day, so I requested that Aaron go to Einstein Brothers and get me a bagel to which he responded, "Thanks a lot. There goes the only surprise I had planned for you." Oops. He brought me a pumpkin bagel and a skinny cinnamon dolce latte from Starbucks. Both were amazing.

Kansas weather is slightly unpredictable, as everyone (who reads this blog) knows. I have had snowy birthdays, windy birthdays, and partly cloudy birthdays, but never do I remember a 75 degrees and sunny birthday. I credit this gift to God (thanks, God!). He could have waited until next November 1 to grace Kansas City with such beautiful weather, at which time I would be sitting at my desk, cursing the fact that the weather is spring-like, and I am stuck working on my birthday. But no, he chose this birthday to unleash the sun.

Some people would place outlet mall shopping at the bottom of their birthday activity list, but not me. I told Aaron that all I wanted to do was go to the outlet mall and buy as many under $20 articles of clothing as my little heart desired. So I spent the afternoon in Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and TJ Max buying clothes that had been rejected from regular stores. What a dream come true! Okay, so the dressing room at TJ Max made me want to vomit, but I got a cute sweater dress for $16 out of the deal!

The plan after shopping was to go out to eat downtown, followed by a movie at the new AMC theater. There weren't any great movies playing, but I didn't care, because it was my birthday, and the last movie I had seen in the theater was "He's Just Not that Into You". Two seasons have passed since then. I had a couple of eateries in mind for dinner, but I didn't get the memo that nothing outside of the P&L District downtown is open on a Sunday night. Finally, I threw in the towel, and suggested an Italian restaurant by the Plaza...I would just want until my 29th birthday to see another movie. No dice, that restaurant was closed, too. Finally, I settled on Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian steakhouse. That is where I concluded my wonderful birthday, feasting on 17 different cuts of steak, pork, and chicken. Who needs birthday cake when there are skewers of filet passing by?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Hope it's okay that it took me about 6 weeks to realize what a great birthday you had. I'm impressed - sounds like you got all the fun you could handle, and an extra hour to do it all in. 27 was a pretty good year - as I recall, I finished my Master's, a life goal of mine. Might be a long shot, but let's assume that's a sign you'll finish one of your goals, CFA Test 3, with flying colors. :)

    ReplyDelete