I’m not sure there is a more awkward year of life than 6th grade. I am reminded of this every Wednesday night as we lead a 6th grade boys Bible study. In case you were wondering, 6th grade boys aren’t all that interested in the Bible. Or listening. Or focusing.
The surprise for me is that these boys are not much different than the awkward 6th grade boys in 1995 when I was an awkward 6th grade girl.
 |
| Proof that I was, in fact, an awkward 6th grade girl. Don't let the outfit fool you here, folks. I was 12 in this photo, not 35. |
I had a notion before we got started in this adventure that we would have a major problem: cell phones. I have heard from parents and teachers that nearly all middle school kids have their own phones these days, and many of those phones are probably smart phones with data plans. I pictured anti-social kids texting each other at lightning speed from across the room, or playing Angry Birds on their iPhones while we try to get them to participate in discussions. I just knew that kids these days didn’t know how to talk, because technology has taken away any need for verbal communication.
Boy was I wrong.
I haven’t seen a cell phone yet, and in fact, our biggest problem is that these boys talk. And they all talk at same time, and rarely on-topic for the night’s study. Last week, an 8th grade boy had to come in the room and tell our group to please be quiet. I looked longingly towards the room of civilized older boys, but then realized that these 6th graders are growing on me. Who knows? Maybe in another 6 weeks they will actually learn to listen.
My guess is that they will benefit enough from forming a foundation of good-influence type friends, and a couple of positive role models, that it balances out the fact that they aren't getting in much Bible study :) You guys are awesome!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I think I could match you and raise you one with my 6th grade picture :(
I kind of love that picture. My Easter picture from 6th grade (maybe 5th?) I definitely had a mauve pink jacket with white polka dots and extra-large shoulder pads. When I folded the sleeves up you saw white with mauve stripes. And of course matching shorts/skirt/culotte things.
ReplyDeleteWow Steph! Did you know you wanted to be CEO in 6th grade too?!? You look like a mini Tess from Working Girl...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry... I couldn't finish reading the blog post because I was so fixated on the picture!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI can't get enough of this picture. Drew took a quick look and obviously wasn't listening to the subject and said, " so she thinks throwing on a blazer will help them to be more mature?"
ReplyDeleteIf only modern day Steph still owned this outfit....