I saw the white bag with the red star when Aaron walked through the door last night. I would recognize that bag from a mile away. It could only be one thing: A Valentine's gift for yours truly purchased at Macy's.
It took about 1 minute for us to decide that we would each open a small Valentine's gift, as we had each purchased a few small things. That's the way it goes everytime. Then, we each open a gift, and then Aaron inevitably asks, "Do you want to open the rest?" and I reply, "No." Because then there would be nothing to open later. Why not make the fun last for awhile?
So we exchanged our first gifts: 2 pairs of earrings for me, and a book for him, and we were both pleased with our new goods.
"Do you want to open another?"
"No."
As I was admiring my new earrings, Aaron mentioned that he didn't use our Macy's coupons, but one pair was on sale. No coupons?! ONE pair was on sale?! Had I taught him nothing? You should never EVER pay full price for anything at Macy's!! Luckily, the more rational voice in my head told me to get a grip, because a coupon would have only saved a couple dollars anyway.
I'm not sure how I turned out this way, but I am infatuated with discounts. Not buying anything at all is the best way to save money, of course, but knowing that I bought something for 80% off of regular price is so much more gratifying. I don't remember the last article of clothing that I bought for regular price...unless you count TJ Maxx. It's probably been a few years to be honest. Maybe the swimsuit I bought for our honeymoon? That $75 was painful!
My Macy's credit card account adds fuel to the fire. If you are a regular Macy's shopper, then you know that they are always having a sale: "President's Day Sale!" or "Macy's One Day Sale!" (which is actually 2 days each month because first they have a "Preview Day") or "Biggest Sale of the Year!" which I'm pretty sure happens every other week. In addition to the continuous sales, credit cardholders often get an extra 10% off of sale prices and also receive coupons periodically for an extra __% or $__ off of purchases. The combination of discounts must be analyzed with each purchase, so that I know I am getting the best deal possible.
For instance, I recently found a Columbia ski coat for Aaron. The sign on the rack was labeled 60% off, plus an additional 10% off if you use your Macy's card. Sounds like a pretty good deal, right? Yes, but it could be better! Instead of the extra 10% off, I could use a coupon for $15 off instead. I quickly calculated the difference and decided to buy him the coat using the coupon. But what if it goes on sale for 75% off next week?! It's only February, and there's still two in his size left...so I put it back. I realize now that this probably sounds completely crazy. Or perhaps you would like to hire me to help you save a couple bucks here and there.
I suppose that I over-analyze purchases. I guess that is why I like my job so much. Buying a pair of shoes is a heck of a lot simpler than buying a company, but it's the same idea.
Gotta go...I need to analyze the menu of the restaurant that we are going to tonight so I make sure that we do not spend more than what is on our gift card.
hmm..you just motivated me to start looking at coupons and discounts again. i get lazy sometimes...but seriously it feels so much better to save even a few dollars!
ReplyDeleteps cant wait to read what the rest of the valentines day presents are. =)
Steph... you are the coolest! :) And don't let anyone tell you differently!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Al...I almost feel like you mean that! :)
ReplyDelete