Monday, February 9, 2009

Things I find myself doing when I'm supposed to be studying

Well, I'm back in the swing of studying for the CFA. So far, I'm sticking to my schedule, and have put in about 20 hours in the last 8 days, so I'm off to a good start. As focused as I aim to be, I inevitably find my mind wandering after sitting at the desk in our basement for hours on end. My study breaks are not consciously taken most of the time, they just kind of happen. Here's a few things that distract me:
  • Brinkley. My dog is almost as smart as she is cute (and she is pretty darn cute). Sometimes I think that she is so smart that she is conniving. Deep down, I think Brinkley has a plan to distract me so much that I fail my exams, and subsequently get fired from my job and become a stay at home dog-mom. Now that I think about it, when I found out that I passed Level 1, she didn't even congratulate me, she just kept trying to nap. There may have even been an eye roll. Well I hate to tell you this, Brinkley, but if Mom becomes unemployed, the first thing to be cut out of our budget is your tasty pig ear treats, so you might want to reconsider your decisions to squeak your toys, beat your tail against the wall, and climb onto my lap!
  • Facebook. I generally don't even care about Facebook that much, but it does not matter. I still find myself hoping that someone has posted something really good on their profile, which forces me to get up, walk across the room, and log in.
  • K-State games. Wouldn't you know that right about the time that I start studying again, K-State basketball gets good. I try to only watch segments of the games, but I inevitably find myself stalled in the living room as I pass through to refill my drink...and then 10 minutes go by as I stand over the couch yelling at the television (Aaron loves this, let me tell you). I don't sit down, because that would classify as a break, and I sure don't need to be taking one of those!
  • My fingers and hair. I have some bad habits: picking at my fingers and split ends. I'm not proud of it, but unfortunately, I can't seem to escape my fingers or my hair, so my only defense is lotion and a hair tie. So I put on lotion, and Brinkley comes running, licking her lips, mistaking my hands for a fresh-baked pie. And then we're back at the Brinkley distraction.
  • Counting pages. At the start of a new chapter, I always check to see how many pages are in front of me. Two pages later, I check again. Three pages after that, I check again. And again. It's not such a good use of precious time.
  • Other distractions include: staring at the wall, e-mail, and anything online that is more interesting than Quantitative Methods or Fixed Income. So pretty much anything.

2 comments:

  1. Those are all valid distractions. I would add daydreaming, checking everyone's blogs repeatedly and checking my bank account to make sure I have enough money to leave the house and buy a coke! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all valid distractions. I would add daydreaming, checking everyone's blogs repeatedly and checking my bank account to make sure I have enough money to leave the house and buy a coke! :)

    ReplyDelete