Thursday, January 15, 2009

Deceptive sunshine

It looks like a beautiful day outside: the sun is shining and the downtown buildings aren't visibly swaying in the wind as they were yesterday. If I didn't know better, I would think that it is a lovely day for an outside run. However, I do know better, and I know that it is absolutely frigid out there.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it is officially my least favorite time of year. Christmas is over yet Winter is just getting going. Ugh. I took Brinkley on a walk last night after work, and I wore no fewer than 12 articles of clothing, yet after 5 minutes my hands had surpassed cold and gone straight to throbbing pain. We walked as fast as I could go in two pairs of pants.

As I complain about the cold temperatures, I cannot help but feel a little guilty, because if I wanted to, I could avoid going outdoors altogether: my car is parked in our (one car) garage attached to our house when I am at home, and a garage under my office building while I am at work. Meanwhile, my poor husband's car is parked outside 100% of the time, not to mention that he has a 3 block walk from the parking lot to his office building. It's not really fair, I know.

I will try to look on the bright side during these cold times: I am so very thankful that I do not live in Littlefork, MN, where it is currently -9 degrees, yet it feels like -29. (Just for your information, Littlefork is just north of Bigfork, MN. Not kidding.) I will not be vacationing in Littlefork anytime soon, though I am sure I'll change my mind about that when I am whining that Kansas City is too hot come August.

Rather than vacationing on a warm beach, Aaron and I will be heading to Colorado to ski with our friends, Brett & Emily, this weekend. If you can't be on a beach in January, the next best place is a ski slope! I have not been skiing in 5 years, and it has been even longer for Aaron, so lets hope we make it back home without injury.

2 comments:

  1. So jealous about skiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have so much fun!!!! Any chances at seeing Ms. Addison while you are there?!

    PS. I will not comment on the theme of your blog because, as usual, I'm one of the few people that enjoy the frigid weather! I was so happy to wake up to snow today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just ditto your thoughts on the cold, except for that I cannot avoid the weather since we still have to take our students outside. However, I think the little amount of sunshine and fresh air help my outlook just a bit! Hope you guys are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete