On Saturday night, Aaron and I attended "Party Arty", a fundraising event for the Nelson Atkins Museum. I really had no idea what to expect -- we aren't exactly regulars on the Kansas City charity event circuit. Lucky for us, Aaron can get free tickets to stuff like that through the bank he works for.
It was held in the new Bloch Building...in the part that does not contain art. Apparently you had to have VIP tickets to actually see art. About 400 twenty-something's were there, and between all of us there were two bar areas set up. Had we actually paid for our tickets, I would have been much more upset by the 45 minute wait.
The dress code was "Dress to Impress." Everyone there seemed to interpret this differently, because there was everything from floor-length gowns to backless cocktail dresses (and a few that seemed to be frontless...) to jeans. I was definitely on the boring side in my cowl-neck sweater and pencil skirt, but my backless dresses were all at the dry cleaners, I swear. I urged Aaron to take off his tie and unbutton his top 4 buttons, but he was not having it. There went our only chance to fit in.
The most baffling discovery of the night was not the attire, however. It was the fact that in the entire room of people our age, we knew a total of about 7 between the two of us. Not that we know everyone in Kansas City, but the two of us are fairly well-connected between K-Staters, Aaron's classemates at UMKC, and the contacts we have made in our careers. Of those 7 people we knew, only 2 were K-Staters, which led us to hypothesize that K-Staters are not into artsy events. Upon further discussion, we deducted that the reason we did not know anyone there just had to be because K-Staters hate art. It's the only explanation.
Our interpretation of Dress to Impress. My dogs were barking from standing in one place for 2 hours; hence, the awkward look on my face.
No comments:
Post a Comment