Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I am rooting for you, Mr. President

Dear Mr. President,


Congratulations. You truly made history, and I am proud that my country has evolved in such a way over the past few decades that a black man can hold its highest office. Your inauguration was an inspiring day in history. I used to not think that I would see a minority or a woman President in my lifetime, but in the past year, I have come to think that I will see both in the next 25 years.

I must be honest; I did not vote for you, Mr. Obama. In fact, throughout your campaign, I was a staunch critic of yours. That is behind me now, however, because you now have a clean slate. Just as President Bush said a couple weeks ago, I do want you to succeed.

I have been impressed with (some of) your cabinet picks, and was especially and pleasantly surprised when you chose to leave Robert Gates in his current position as Defense Secretary. I am hopeful that your daily briefings on foreign affairs will convince you that the War in Iraq is being won, and that victory is attainable. Please do not take the safety of your fellow Americans for granted. Americans have been kept safe on our soil for over 7 years now, and the laws that are in place have made that possible.

Mr. President, I know that you have inherited a terrible economic situation, but please consider the consequences to our children and grandchildren's generations before spending hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars. The markets have a way of correcting themselves, and public works projects will likely have little impact on recovery. I know that it is tempting to continue down the road that GWB started down with the bank bailouts, but nationalizing our country's largest banks would be detrimental. Our free markets are part of what has made our country so great and powerful. If I liked the way things are done in Sweden, I would have moved there by now.

Nancy and Harry are going to be pains in your ass, but do not let them wear you down -- you are the President, not either of them. And by now you may be regretting your choice of Joe as your second in command. On behalf of all Americans, I beg you to not let him speak in public without a teleprompter. Perhaps then your administration could avoid the embarrassment of making fun of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

I am not really sure at this point what "hope" & "change" mean, but I am "hope"ful that the change you enact will make our great nation even better.

Sincerely,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment