Friday, January 2, 2009

Party of the Year 2009...So Far

It is really unfortunate that is it so cold this time of year, because having 21 of our closest friends over would have been much more comfortable if we could have utilized our screened porch and deck for seating areas. The porch did make a convenient cooler for all of the drinks that would not fit in the refrigerator, however. We crammed ourselves and all of our guests into our little home, and with the help of 4 extra tables, we were actually able to seat everyone for a lovely Mexican feast.

Somehow, Aaron and I have hosted New Years Eve parties each of the last 4 years, and each party seems to be bigger than the last. If we host an even bigger party next year, I think we have 3 options: rent some heaters to put outside, utilize bedrooms, or buy a bigger house. I'm not really sure that any of these are realistic, so perhaps next year will be the year that no one will receive the NYE e-vite. Sorry all.

I do truly enjoy hosting get togethers, and we don't seem to host often enough, so I sort of enjoy preparations of our annual bash. I only wish that I could get it through my anal head that it really isn't necessary to clean beforehand, because inevitably the floors and countertops are even dirtier after the party. I am well aware that none of our guests would judge us if they noticed a clump of Brinkley hair in the corner, but there's something inside me that just can't let it be. Therefore, I cleaned all day on Wednesday (thankfully, I was given the day off!), and then did it all over again on Thursday. It was well worth it.

We had lots of food, lots of drink, lots of decorations and lots of fun. Everyone enjoyed themselves (I hope), and my precious pup even made a cameo. She was able to contain her excitement and got to stay at the party most of the evening. I was such a proud mom! I was a bit worried when the Clarks left the next morning, as Matt told me that he would like to trade dogs with me. With all do respect, Wrigley sounds like a fun boy, but Matt and Allyson did not exactly make him sound like a dream pet.

The excitement of the evening was learning that the Metzens are expecting! I suppose that exciting announcements such as this will be fairly common for the next 10 years or so, and the New Years parties will start earlier and earlier until we don't actually make it until midnight anymore. Anyone know how to play bridge?

1 comment:

  1. I'm still not sure how we made it past 1 a.m.!!!

    Thanks for hosting a wonderful party! I promise that the party will move to other spots -- I'm just not sure how many people will make the trek to Wichita to celebrate (except you and Sparks -- we won't tell the in-laws you are in town!).

    ReplyDelete